Waynesboro Public Library (former). 1915.

313 Walnut Ave, Waynesboro, VA 22980

One-story Classical Revival building of English-bond brick construction with a metal-sheathed hip roof and a poured-concrete foundation. The brickwork is textured and variegated in color with bricks of reddish and bluish-gray color. The building has a cornice, window sills, and other trim of stone, a pedimented front projection, and front and back entrances with stone quoins and scrolled consoles as well as (on the front) sidelights and transom. Under some of the 3/3 and 2/2 windows are decorative brick panels with cross motifs and center windows. The names of famous literary personages are inscribed in the frieze, from Homer to Poe and Lanier. Other features include a basement level, two exterior brick boiler flues on the rear, modern front steps of brick and concrete, and a rear parking lot.

Waynesboro's public library organized in 1913 and with a grant of $8,000 from the Carnegie Foundation erected its first permanent home which was dedicated on July 15, 1915 (construction probably began in 1914). T. J. Collins & Son of Staunton was the architect. The building continued in its original function until 1969 when the present library opened on South Wayne Avenue and the original building was acquired by Fishburne Military School for use as a library. In June of 1996 the Virginia Department of Historic Resources determined that the Waynesboro Public Library individually met the criteria for register eligibility. (Stevens, \""How Waynesboro Got Its Public Library;\"" Shaw, Ranzini and Wood, \""Waynesboro Tree Streets Historic District\""; Wright, \""Celebrating Waynesboro's 200 Years;\"" and Hawke, History of Waynesboro, 88)"

National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form 2/4/02