Ernest Mosby House. 1909

320 S Wayne Ave, Waynesboro, VA 22980

Two-story frame Queen Anne house with novelty weatherboard siding and an asphalt-shingle hip-and-gable roof with pedimented gables with sawtooth wood-shingle sheathing and lunettes. The one-story wraparound porch has fluted Ionic Columns on paneled wood pedestals and turned balusters. Other features include a rockfaced concrete block foundation, interior brick chimneys, a front entry with transom, sidelights and a decorative surround , a one-story side bay window, 1/1 windows, and a reworked two-tier back porch with a kitchen on the first tier and a sleeping porch on the second tier. Dr. Ernest Mosby purchased the lots on which the house stands in 1907 and completed the house in 1909. Mosby and his family occupied the upper levels and the basement level was used as Mosby's office and clinic. It is possible the back porch was used as patient rooms. Waynesboro mayor J. Frank Harper purchased the property in 1921 and sold it a year later to Walter A. Coiner. The Coiner family owned it until 1967. In 1995 present owners James and Carolyn Rodenberg acquired the house and the following year they opened it as the Belle Hearth Bed & Breakfast, its present use.

National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form 2/4/02