John Plumb House. 1913

405 S Wayne Ave, Waynesboro, VA 22980

Two-story Classical Revival house of stretcher brick-veneer frame construction with a metal-sheathed hip roof with a deck with remnant turned balustrade, a north side two-story gabled front wing, and a front gable with sawtooth wood shingles and lunette. The two-story one-tier front portico has monumental fluted Corinthian columns and shelters a smaller balcony over the front entrance supported on sawn brackets with turned balusters and comer posts. The portico floor extends on the north end as a terrace with turned balustrade that connects to a north-side one-story porch with Corinthian columns and turned balusters. Other features include a rockfaced concrete-block foundation, interior brick chimneys, a modillion cornice, a front entry with transom and sidelights (the latter with opalescent glass) and a decorative surround, 1/1 windows, and a two-story back wing with novelty vinyl siding. The Wayne and Twelfth exposures of the lot have a rockfaced concrete block retaining wall with a decorative iron cresting and gates that is extended by an iron fence at the back of the lot. Plumb was a cattle producer and dealer who wintered in Augusta, Georgia and summered in Waynesboro. He is credited with building houses in Waynesboro, including assisting with the construction of his own house. (Bowman, Waynesboro Days of Yore, vol. 2 p. 89)

Garage. Ca. 1950.
One-story cinder-block with a metal sheathed gable roof.

Shed. First half 20th c.
One-story frame with weatherboard siding and a metal-sheathed shed roof. In deteriorated condition.

National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form 2/4/02