Fry House. Ca. 1891; late 20th c.

428 Maple Ave, Waynesboro, VA 22980

Two-story frame Queen Anne house with vinyl siding and a metal-sheathed gable roof. The house-one of the most flamboyant of its style in Waynesboro~is distinguished by its complex roof line and massing and its elaborate wooden ornament and finishes. A three-story octagonal turret rises at the north front comer, with imbricated wood-shingle siding and a steep wood-shingled roof with a slender metal finial spike. A two-story gabled front wing has flanking second-story balconies supported by curved brackets with fanfold-pattern spandrels, and rises to a bracketed gable with gridded ornament at its apex. The one-story front porch has chamfered and reeded posts, sawn brackets, a spindle frieze, and unusual turned balusters. The 1/1 windows have reeded surrounds with an outer label molding-type trim with turned comer and terminal blocks. Other features include a brick foundation across the front and stone behind, diamond-shaped brick-lattice foundation vefits, an interior brick chimney, diamond-shaped louvered gable vents, and a modern two-story rear addition and deck. The Frys were early occupants of this house, and Mrs. R. Lee Fry lived there in 1935. The house was built to a design by Lynchburg architect Carrington Hubbard. Stylistically the house shares many features with 517 Walnut. (Chambers, Lynchburg: An Architectural History, 332-335;James K. Wright)

Garage. 1920s. One-story frame with board-and-batten siding, a metal-sheathed gable roof, a poured-concrete foundation, and three vehicle bays.

National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form 2/4/02