Winston House. Ca. 1910.

437 Walnut Ave, Waynesboro, VA 22980

Two-story frame Foursquare-form house with weatherboard siding and an asphalt-shingle hip roof with a front hipped dormer and side gables with sawtooth wood-shingle sheathing and three-part windows. The one-story wraparound porch has clustered slender classical wood columns and turned balusters. Other features include a front entry with transom and sidelights, an interior brick chimney and interior brick flue, 1/1 windows (6/6 in the dormer), and a two-story ell with a two-tier side porch combining chamfered posts, rectangular-section balusters, and beaded matchboard enclosure. A high poured-concrete retaining wall extends across the front of the lot. The original owner of this house was apparently Elizabeth Guy Winston, who came to Waynesboro in 1887 with her husband Joseph Barbee Winston (died 1910), a former mayor of Louisa Court House. In 1888 Bertie Winston opened the Valley Seminary for young ladies at Wayne and Eleventh. Later occupants included Dr. Francis P. Floyd in 1935 and the Tichenours. (James Wright; Hawke, History of Waynesboro, 145)

Play house (frame). Late 20th c.

National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form 2/4/02