Weems-Watkins Hospital (Percy Loth House). 1899; ca. 1912; early 1920s.

453 S Wayne Ave, Waynesboro, VA 22980

"Two-story frame Queen Anne house with novelty weatherboard siding and an asphalt-shingle hip roof. The one-story wraparound porch has modern cylindrical wooden supports on wooden pedestals, a curved corner at the south end, a porte cochere at the north end, and a roof-top balcony. Associated with this balcony is a second-story bay window and above that another, attic-level balcony and a gable with fish scale wood shingles and an elliptical louvered vent. Other features include a brick foundation and interior chimneys, a front entry with transom and broad sidelights, 1/1 windows, and a two-tier back porch with an exterior stair and screening and chamfered posts in the upper tier. An unusual iron fence extends across the front of the lot. A photo in Curtis Bowman's Waynesboro Days of Yore shows a 1912 fire that gutted the house. The porte cochere replaced an earlier circular porch gazebo in the early 1920s. Percy Loth was the house's original owner. Physicians Bliss K. Weems and D. Edwards Watkins operated the Weems-Watkins Hospital in the house from 1934 to 1937. (Shaw, Ranzini and Wood, ""Waynesboro Tree Streets Historic District""; Bowman, Waynesboro Days of Yore, vol. 1 p. 129; News-Virgnian, April 18,2000)

Grape arbor (metal). 1st half 20th c."

National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form 2/4/02