W. J. Whitaker House. Ca. 1891

517 Walnut Ave, Waynesboro, VA 22980

Two-story frame Queen Anne house with novelty weatherboard siding and an asphalt-shingled gable roof with a gabled side wing, gabled dormer, and decorative exposed rafter ends with piercings. There are one-story front and side porches with turned posts and balusters, spindle friezes, and (on the front porch) a bracketed cornice. A prominent two-story front bay window has flanking second-story balconies supported by curved brackets with fanfold-pattern spandrels, pierced frieze panels, and a gridwork of turned blocks in the gable apex. The front entry has sidelights and a transom with an elliptical window. Other features include a brick foundation and interior chimney with a decoratively corbelled cap, 1/1 windows with reeded Victorian surrounds with turned corner blocks, and a one-story rear wing. A poured-concrete retaining wall (formerly with an iron fence along its top) extends across the front of the lot, and a carriage house formerly stood behind. The house was in the process of rehabilitation at the time of survey. Stylistically the house shares many features with 428 Maple. An 1891 newspaper article suggests that the owner of the house was W. J. Whitaker. In the early twentieth century a Capt. Pratt lived here with his wife and a niece, Isobel Sparrow. The house was occupied by H. M. Wallace in 1935. (James K. Wright; Augusta County tax records; The Waynesboro Times, September 11, 1891; Bowman, Waynesboro Days of Yore, vol. 1, 54; Hawke, History of Waynesboro, front endsheets)

National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form 2/4/02