Thomas and Willie Quesenbery House. 1901

557 S Wayne Ave, Waynesboro, VA 22980

"Two-story frame Victorian house with weatherboard siding and an asphalt-shingle hip roof with front gable. The front entry with transom has turned posts and balusters, sawn and turned brackets, and a spindle frieze. Other features include interior brick chimneys, a modern or reworked front entry with a decorative surround and beveled glass in sidelights and transom, and 1/1 windows. A decorative iron fence and gate manufactured by the Stewart Iron Works extends across the front of the lot, interrupted at the north end by a concrete-runner and cobblestone driveway bordered by yuccas. According to an 1899 business directory, Thomas William Quesenbery was a ""jobber in groceries and confectioneries"" (a wholesale grocer). According to family tradition T. W. and his wife Willie Lee Barger Quesenbery had the house built in 1901. The Quesenberys' son and daughter-in-law William Doyle and Dorothy Elizabeth Seipp Quesenbery moved to the house from 537 S. Wayne in the mid-1940s. W. D. Quesenbery was a furniture store owner and real estate investor. In 1992 a fire destroyed the roof and second story, and consequently the house was rehabilitated by present owner Jacquelyn Jeutter (daughter of W. D. and Dorothy Quesenbery) and her husband in 1992-1994. (Jacquelyn Jeutter; Hawke, History of Waynesboro, 191)

Garage. Early 20th c.
One-story garage of stuccoed tile-block construction with stepped front and back parapets and a modern paneled door. The present gable roof replaces an original barrel-vaulted roof. In the mid-20th century the garage was used to shelter three cars and a furniture delivery truck."

National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form 2/4/02