William B. Gallaher House. 1929; 1976-77

672 Pine Ave, Waynesboro, VA 22980

Two-story frame Colonial Revival house with weatherboard siding (cypress) and an asbestos-shingle gable roof with gabled dormers on the front and a large shed dormer across the back. The one-story front entry porch has paired slender classical wood columns and a gable roof with arched cutout. Other features include a poured-concrete foundation a south-end exterior brick chimney, an entry with an elliptical fanlight and sidelights, a lunette in the north gable, 8/8 and 6/6 windows with S-form shutter dogs, a 1976-77 one-story rear wing of similar style, and an engaged one-story back screen porch. Gallaher, a surveyor, hired Harry Brooks to build his house. The 1935 city directory shows a Ralph D. Lusk living at 672A--perhaps an apartment in the surveyor's office (see below). Pat and Jim Cook purchased the house from William Gallaher Jr. in 1976 and added the rear wing. (Pat Cook)

Garage/Surveyor's office. 1930s.
One-story frame with weatherboard siding, an asphalt-shingled gable roof, and 6/6 windows with batten shutters with decorative strap hinges and S-form shutter dogs like the main house. This building is identified as a garage on the 1948 Sanborn map. It was later remodeled to serve as William Gallaher surveyor's office. The building may have been built in 1933. (Pat Cook)
Garden shed (wood). Late 20th c.

National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form 2/4/02