Olaf Oas House. 1928; 1967

713 Pine Ave, Waynesboro, VA 22980

Two-story Colonial Revival house of stuccoed frame construction with a slate-shingle gable roof. The dominant exterior feature is a full-facade single-tier two-story front portico on paneled square-section monumental wood columns and with a Chinese Chippendale roof balustrade of painted redwood. The front entry has sidelights and an elliptical fanlight with decorative muntins; above is a second-story French door opening onto a false metal balcony. Other features include exterior stucco masonry end chimneys with paved shoulders and decorative recesses in the stacks, flanking quarter-round windows in the gables, a one-story south-end sun room with pilasters and a roof balustrade similar to that on the porch, 6/6 windows, and a one-story rear addition made in 1967. Now attached to the rear addition but originally detached is a one-story stucco frame garage with a slate-shingle roof with pedimented gables with weatherboard siding and lunettes. A slate and concrete retaining wall with boxwood hedge extends in front of the house, and the yard is shaded by large oaks and maples. The house was built in 1928 by Hopeman Bros. Enterprises, a ship interior outfitter, for its plant manager Olaf Oas. From 1947 to 1973 the house was owned by Sam and Barbara Austin. Sam Austin was a CEO with Crompton Corduroy and a former mayor of Waynesboro. (Thomas L. Varner)

National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form 2/4/02